The kind of treatment you need depends on the kind of cancer you have and how advanced it is.
The goal of your treatment may be to:
• shrink the tumour;
• remove the tumour altogether;
• kill cancer cells that may have spread;
• reduce the chance that your cancer will come back; or
• help you deal with the symptoms caused by certain cancers
There are several types of cancer treatments:
• Systemic Therapy (includes Chemotherapy, Immunotherapy, Hormone Therapy and Biologic Therapy)
• Radiation therapy
• Bone marrow/stem cell transplant
• Combination treatment (for example, chemotherapy and radiation therapy together)
Understanding cancer treatments can help you talk about your choices with your healthcare team.
To learn more about cancer treatments visit the recommended websites section of our website, or call the Canadian Cancer Society’s Cancer Information Service at